Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Help, finishing basement

MW wrote:
What a can of worms this is becoming. We are going to finish our 45-
yr-old basement, and so far, 6 contractors have 6 different ways of
dealing with our moisture problem.

There are two kinds of moisture problems, external and internal.

Internal is just the moisture in the are condensing on the cooler walls.
(Tape some foil or plastic to the wall. If it ends up wet on top, it is
internal, if it is only wet towards the wall it is external. It may be
both.

External problems should be addressed for outside. That is where the
problem is. You get water away from the wall first, and make sure there is
some sort of drain around the outside.

Each case is different so the correct solution for me is not likely to
be the correct solution for you. There are a couple of general comments
that should help you rule out some contractors.

If the water is coming in from the outside and they want to "waterproof"
your walls from the inside, just laugh at them and send them on their way.
If they are offering something quick and cheap, forget them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit