Posted to alt.home.repair
timO' timO' is offline

Default Old phone jacks

On Mar 18, 8:33 am, " wrote:
On Mar 18, 8:18?am, "DLK" wrote:

On Mar 18, 8:03 am, "aemeijers" wrote:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

. ..

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 01:25:03 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

(snip)
And finally, I'd find where all the phone lines are connected and see
how it is done and where the wires go from there. ? My house has never
had more than one line, and the connection place has 4 "clip-strips"
that are used and each wire atttached is attached to all four. ?So I
know nothing fancy is going on.

Thanks,

MC

Thanks! ?I will take it off and see what is going on. ?Just that I have 10
projects going at the same time now, and it seems its never going to end.

Let me add an 11th- if you will be opening and patching walls anyway, and
the house is empty, this is the best chance you will ever have to upgrade
the phone wires to cat 5e or cat6, and a home-run or star topology, vs. the
point-to-point or tree style it probably has now. From your photo, I'd
almost bet 2nd jack is on 2nd pair of RGYB old-style premises wire.
Business/kids/fax line, a non-ma-bell DSL hookup, or something.

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I have a related question: wondering how the wires should be handled
if one simply wants to remove a phone jack from the center of a wall
and drywall over the opening? ?Does one need to do anything special or
can they be dropped in behind the drywall.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

although no dial tone its very possible they are still electricall
live.

unplug at the NID if your going to use a ohmmeter.

I got a suprising shock off a home with no service

those look like demark boxes, they aren't usually used in rooms, but
where the telco first enters the premises. Look around the premises
exterior and see if you can detect where the phone lines enter the
house, then go inside to where they go throught the exterior wall.
it's typically in the basement, and frequently near the electric
service panel. You will probably see a terminal block the incoming
phone line, and one or more branch circuits. Some of us refer to this
as the demark, although, the demark might be a gray plastic box on the
exterior of the premises as well. It depends on the age of the
installation and I suppose where in the U.S. you are. This block might
be an overcurrent/surge device, or not. You might very well find there
is 60 Volts present across the line, with enough current to cause
injury, so be careful and use a voltmeter.
Each line (phone number) requires a pair of wires, but any number of
branch circuits can be tapped of a pair.
I think the previous poster who figured your pix was a jack for the
phone and a jack for the fax is correct. each of those boxes has a
pair, and they are wired in parrallel either right at that location,
or at the real demark. The spring flap boxes, wire staples and shoddy
installation are clues that it was installed by a phone company
employee at some point in time. You can use this wire as a drag line
if you want to upgrade to a home network, or central sound system, or
an alarm system or whatever. so think before destroying it, and if you
still want to hide it and spackle over it, I'd be sure it didn't have
voltage on the wires.
hope this info helps