Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old phone jacks

On Mar 18, 8:18�am, "DLK" wrote:
On Mar 18, 8:03 am, "aemeijers" wrote:

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

. ..

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 01:25:03 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

(snip)
And finally, I'd find where all the phone lines are connected and see
how it is done and where the wires go from there. * My house has never
had more than one line, and the connection place has 4 "clip-strips"
that are used and each wire atttached is attached to all four. *So I
know nothing fancy is going on.

Thanks,

MC

Thanks! *I will take it off and see what is going on. *Just that I have 10
projects going at the same time now, and it seems its never going to end.

Let me add an 11th- if you will be opening and patching walls anyway, and
the house is empty, this is the best chance you will ever have to upgrade
the phone wires to cat 5e or cat6, and a home-run or star topology, vs. the
point-to-point or tree style it probably has now. From your photo, I'd
almost bet 2nd jack is on 2nd pair of RGYB old-style premises wire.
Business/kids/fax line, a non-ma-bell DSL hookup, or something.

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

I have a related question: wondering how the wires should be handled
if one simply wants to remove a phone jack from the center of a wall
and drywall over the opening? *Does one need to do anything special or
can they be dropped in behind the drywall.

Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

although no dial tone its very possible they are still electricall
live.

unplug at the NID if your going to use a ohmmeter.

I got a suprising shock off a home with no service