Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default 15 amps or 20 amps

I suspect you are asking the wrong question, the question is not so much the
amp rating on the switches and outlets but rather the grade of the switches
and outlets.

If you look there should be several grades listed something like spec,
industrial and pro. the cheapies are usually less than a buck, the pro are
something around 2 bucks each and the industrial are the $6+ plugs.

The low grade is usually selected by track home builders because most people
buying houses don't care about plugs.

The mid grade is fine for most service probably outlast you, and the
industrial is big overkill unless you have a shop and are doing heavy work
or you have some special needs.

Try a different store if the borg doesn't have the mid grade.

--
Roger Shoaf
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I had an electrican inspect an old house I bought and he said the wirings
and everything are fine and great. But many of the outlets and switches

are
getting flaky and sometimes the switches don't work. We decided to

replace
all outlets and switches. He told me to be on the safe side I should get

20
amps switches and outlets.

I went to Home Depot and found the normal 15 amp switches are $0.89 a

piece,
the 20 amp switches are $5.89 a piece. Big difference. I counted that I
need about 70 outlets and 45 switches so this adds up. Plus 3 way 20 amp
switches are even more expensive!

I called him and he said if I have outlets I might plug in a saw or vaccum
cleaner than I should get 20 amps if it's a desk lamp 15 amp is enough.

So
what is the basis for determining this if I have these switches:

For activating garage door openers.
For plugging in a central vac system.
For high hat lights (10 of them with one switch)
For high hat lights (a single one)
For outdoor dusk light
For a series of 5 florescent tube lights
For ceiling fan that has a light attachment
For a hallway a set of two high hat light

Can I use some 15 amps and some 20 amps, would really like to avoid the
expensive one if not really necessary.

Thanks,

MC