Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default 15 amps or 20 amps

mm wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:52:33 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

20A circuits are better than 15A circuits.

You may have come in in the middle, but in this particular example, he
wasn't going to put in a 20A circuit. Just a 20A outlet on what was
most likely a 15A circuit.

If it had been a 20A circuit, it would likely have had 20A outlets
already, but it doesn't. None of them do.

But you don't necessarily
"need" them unless they are required (such as in your kitchen).

OP has since said that all of the circuits are 20A and wired with 12
gauge wire (as I would have expected, my old house is like that too)
The only place where you'd likely see a 20A outlet is by a window for an
air conditioner. AFAIK, that's the only residential appliance that uses
a 20A plug. You also might have a 20A plug on a 3 or 4 HP (bogus
rating) air compressor.

It is normal to put 15A duplex receptacles on 20A circuits in the USA.
I think it's different in Canada.

Best regards,
Bob