Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] businessman@nomail.com is offline

Default 15 amps or 20 amps

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:39:09 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I had an electrican inspect an old house I bought and he said the wirings
and everything are fine and great. But many of the outlets and switches are
getting flaky and sometimes the switches don't work. We decided to replace
all outlets and switches. He told me to be on the safe side I should get 20
amps switches and outlets.

I went to Home Depot and found the normal 15 amp switches are $0.89 a piece,
the 20 amp switches are $5.89 a piece. Big difference. I counted that I
need about 70 outlets and 45 switches so this adds up. Plus 3 way 20 amp
switches are even more expensive!

I called him and he said if I have outlets I might plug in a saw or vaccum
cleaner than I should get 20 amps if it's a desk lamp 15 amp is enough. So
what is the basis for determining this if I have these switches:

For activating garage door openers.
For plugging in a central vac system.
For high hat lights (10 of them with one switch)
For high hat lights (a single one)
For outdoor dusk light
For a series of 5 florescent tube lights
For ceiling fan that has a light attachment
For a hallway a set of two high hat light

Can I use some 15 amps and some 20 amps, would really like to avoid the
expensive one if not really necessary.

Thanks,

MC

You're being robbed......
If you have a few outlets where the plugs seem loose and fall out,
replace THOSE. If you have swithces that make the light flicker and
pop internally when turned on, replace them. Leave the others until
they are needed. You only need 20A ones on 20A circuits for large
appliances, such as the kitchen.