Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] -@-.com is offline

Default Help with my finishing technique

I have some furniture I'm doing for myself and wonder if my technique
for finishing needs improving somewhere.

The steps I usually follow:

1. Sand using around 150
2. Apply stain conditioner
3. Apply stain
4. Check color if I want to go a little darker apply some more stain
5. Let dry. At least 24 hours
6. Apply first coat of Poly, this is usually the poly that is offered
by minwax in the brown/yellow container
7. 24 hours sand with 00 steel wool
8. repeat 6 and 7 3 times, I usually try for 3-4 coats of poly with
sanding inbetween.
9. apply Minwax wax

Now what I am wondering is should I do a final sanding inbetween the
last coat and the wax?

I'm switching to water based stain for these things just to see if
there is any difference and finish them with the poly from Minwax in
the blue/silver can. Satin finish. I usually do semi-gloss.

Any recommendations/suggestions?