Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default Can tools be too sharp?

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Bill in Detroit" wrote: Not having either seen the video or read the
book, I would hazard a
guess that you intended to say "Steb" center. A dead center doesn't rotate
at all.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, Bill, he's got it right. A dead center installed in the spindle rotates
with the spindle, and drives the work by friction. This is how I was taught
to turn letter openers. The wood is mounted off center to produce the oval
blade--the slightest catch causes it to stall rather than break.

Ahhh ... I was thinking about a dead center in the tailstock. A Steb
center will also allow the stock to stop upon a catch. I don't own one,
but apparently there is some sort of a friction clutch involved.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000723-2, 03/14/2007
Tested on: 3/15/2007 4:09:45 AM