Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Sump Pump Check Valve Vibrates

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 04:56:50 -0700, "dan2590 wrote:

I did see your post and appreciate it very much. I thought you were
mainly referring to banging, which was an issue but is not any
longer. Right now the sump cycles and that makes noise, and I'm fine
with that. AFTERWARD, there is intense vibration right at the check
valve for 30-45 seconds afterward. I did secure all pvc as best as
possible, so that's not really the problem...it's the intensity right
at the check valve.

That is odd. So after the pump shuts off, the valve is vibrating for 30
seconds? That can only be water sliding back down the pipe into your pit.
Probably there is some dirt in the valve preventing it from closing
fully!? but you said it was cleaned I think.

its pretty weird. I dont have that problem.

I had assumed that was a sign of a problem with something?

However, reading your post and others, it sounds like something that I
can try to minimize the noise, but the fact that this is happening
isn't of grave concern?

I don't think it is. Probably means you are pumping more water than
necessary though since some is pumped twice.

To the posters suggesting I flush with Garden hose...If I remove the
check valve the hose water would still have to travel upward about 5
feet up my basement wall and then up a bit in one other spot. Is that
how you would do that? Will the hose water have enough power to get up
and out, and then still maintain power to flush way down at the other
end where there's a potential blockage? Remember, all external stuff
is underground, so my only access is where the check valve is.

garden hose did nothing for me. I have sticky red mud. You can try one
of those attachments that go on the end of the hose like a small balloon.
It causes the water to jet and vibrate through the pipe. i am sure your
pipes will be totally clean after that. but of course I am not sure your
pipes are designed to handle that pressure and vibration.

I put a cleanout on my pipe. And I snake it once or twice a year. I put
the cleanout at the end of a angled Y, and I added some piping above it so
there could be some air in there. so when the pumps shuts off, the water
can slosh back into that area and stop hammering. It probably does not
work, but it was worth a shot, my pipes are much quieter, and I have a
cleanout...