Harold & Susan Vordos

Default Changing oil through dipstick tube

"Lane" lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote in message

"Arthur Dent" wrote in message
Back when I went to work in a garage...er, excuse me, "*Service*

Station",
(circa 1975 or so), when I did an oil change it was standard procedure

completely remove the pan, clean it in the parts washer, and put it back
with a new gasket.

Huh? What part of the world was this. I too was a mechanics helper in

those
years you mentioned working at a "service station". I had never seen this
done or ever heard of it being done for an oil change. I would never pull
an oil pan to change the oil, no reason to and too many chances of leaks
afterwards especially with the degree of experience/training involved with
those that do oil changes; not to mention crossmembers, steering linkages,
and all other manor of stuff in the way of even getting to the bolts, let
alone getting the pan out. Often it is required to undo an engine mount or
two and lift the engine to get an oil pan out, and removing other items

like
starters. Even in the 70's this was true on many vehicles.

Lane

Yep, I'm with you, Lane, but it makes a nice story. Like when we were kids
and had to walk ten miles each way to and from school. Not only was it cold,
but it was up hill both directions. Wind was always in your face, too,
never at your back. Remember the snow? Must have snowed at least three
feet each day. Drifts over the eaves of houses were common, too. Sigh.

Harold