Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Dimensional lumber

Eigenvector wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Eigenvector wrote:
Is there any type of wood that is sold as per its dimension anymore?

I tried to buy some cedar that was as advertised, nope even something as
simple as a 1x2 cedar strip is actually 5/8x 1 1/2. It sucks because I
have
to buy a 1x4 board to fill a 2" gap or actually I have to buy a 2x4 board
and rip it 2 ways with a tablesaw to fit a 1x2 gap. This has to be a
ploy
to sell more lumber, can't this be attacked as a "truth in advertising"
or
false claims angle?

Your gaps are the wrong size, not the wood you're trying not to buy.

Actually as irritating as that response is, it's not in fact incorrect.
Adjusting the size of the cut to accomodate the wood is a perfectly valid
approach. That assumes you can control the size of the cut.

Irritation often accompanies growth.