Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Pump Check Valve Vibrates

On Mar 13, 6:56�am, " wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:16 pm, "dnoyeB" wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:19:20 -0700, "dan2590 wrote:
On Mar 12, 3:33 pm, " wrote:
You know the vibration excess noise could all have one CAUSE!

What if the dischgarge line is somehow blocked?

Then the discharge water pressure back makes the check valve bang when
pump shuts off?

Creates your new vibration noise?

If I were you I would connect a garden hose to the discharge line to
make certain it passes water easily!

Or one day it may stop completely and flood your basement

I did think of that. *I'm "tellling myself" that's not the case since
when I took the check valve out to assess the situation last night,
some water obviously came down out of the blank PVC end, but not an
inordinate amount. *I'm assuming that given the PVC travels up the
wall and then bends and goes up one more time, that area will have
some water post-cycle in it...that's about how much came out.

Anyway, I was telling myself that, and assumed there'd be some obvious
answer here on these boards or on the internet somewhere. *That is
obviously not the case, and I'm beginning to think I need to hire a
plumber to assess the situation. *It wasn't this way before, so
something somewhere is messing with my previous state of happiness.
Thanks for your thoughts!

I gave you the answer. *did you not see my post? *I went through great
lengths to rid myself of that noise and in the end it was just the pipe
attachment. *And now that you have a new pump, which I bet is stronger,
your pipes are going to work themselves loose that much faster if you dont
tighten them down snugly.

Its not the check valve, its the pressure drop. *The pressure increase
caused by the water flowing in reverse and closing the check valve is
nothing compared to the pressure drop when that pump shuts off. I bet you
can see your pipes flex when the pump kicks on in certain places.

go ahead and remove the valve and see what happens. *Let us know.

Presently I have 0 noise and a much stronger pump too. *I would post
pictures but I dont think newsgroups take em.- Hide quoted text -

I did see your post and appreciate it very much. *I thought you were
mainly referring to banging, which was an issue but is not any
longer. *Right now the sump cycles and that makes noise, and I'm fine
with that. *AFTERWARD, there is intense vibration right at the check
valve for 30-45 seconds afterward. *I did secure all pvc as best as
possible, so that's not really the problem...it's the intensity right
at the check valve.

I had assumed that was a sign of a problem with something?

However, reading your post and others, it sounds like something that I
can try to minimize the noise, but the fact that this is happening
isn't of grave concern?

To the posters suggesting I flush with Garden hose...If I remove the
check valve the hose water would still have to travel upward about 5
feet up my basement wall and then up a bit in one other spot. *Is that
how you would do that? Will the hose water have enough power to get up
and out, and then still maintain power to flush way down at the other
end where there's a potential blockage? *Remember, all external stuff
is underground, so my only access is where the check valve is.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah provided you have a decent garden hose and pressure.

If you connect it and water doesnt flow, hose bulges you have a
blockage, garden hose should do this easily. let it run awhile....

wonder where the water goes?