Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sump Pump Check Valve Vibrates

On 12 Mar 2007 11:33:26 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 12, 1:16 pm, mm wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 08:31:11 -0700, "

wrote:

Our sump had been making a BANGING noise at the end of each cycle.
Reading up about that, I determined it must be a bad check valve.

I don't have a check valve, but was considering putting one in.

What say you all, do they all make a bang at the end of the cycle? Or
even a noise?

I was considering instead of a battery backup sump pump getting that
water powered thing, a bit cheaper but but more work to install.

If the check valve is going to go BANG, I would rather get the water
powered thing.

No, ours originally was quiet, and the neigbors I've asked are quiet
as well. Something changed to make it bad in the first place. I
wouldn't make a decision based on a check valve making noise in my
case. Frankly, I didn't know this existed until last summer, it was
normal-sounding prior to that. FWIW a neighbor has a backup water
powered thing, and he feels it's a good solution.

Because of the extra installation work required, especially in my
house, it's tied, which I will get, so I'm looking for anything to
break the tie.

I found one on ebay where it said that he put in some other backup
sump pump or something like that, so he removed the water-powered one,
but it works. The bidding was over, but would you have believed this
story?

It's not like that space is useful for much. If I had one in, I
wouldn't take it out.