Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Can tools be too sharp?

"NoOne N Particular" wrote:in message
Hi all. I am new to turning having just bought a used Delta 14" lathe
about 6 weeks ago. I found one in very good shape and paid $275 for it.
(a side note: If I hadn't found that one I had made up my mind to go to
Woodcraft and buy a Rikon mini later that afternoon. Was that
fortunate???).

Anyway, I was turning some white oak to make an ornament and was having
some trouble with the skew chisel. (clip) Tried cutting the oak again and
the skew almost immediately got the burr again and wouldn't cut.
Unfortunately I didn't find it out quite in time and wound up with a quite
nasty spiral (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The skew is not the ideal too for a beginner to learn on. A "nasty spiral"
can be the consequence of a tiny error.

A narrow bevel on any cutting tool makes it cut better, and I am confident
that in the hands of an experienced turner it could produce a very fine
finish. But the price you pay for having a narrow bevel is in durability.
Most people prefer a broader bevel that can last a while. An axe sharpened
like that would last one chop.

This is the advice I was given by an experience turner when I was having
skew trouble: Use it for EVERYTHING, including roughing. You need
experience. And, if you use it on surfaces that still have enough wood left
to correct errors, you won't be as tense--your errors will give you
experience without anxiety.