Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Why GO BIG?

"William Noble" wrote:

is this were I tell the group that I used to drive a Morgan +4, it's
still here - I need to get it out and drive it again - it's fun if you
don't have to get somewhere - but it's horrible to commute in - and
when I drove it regularly, I learned to keep the top down rain or
shine --- it's a lot more open than a TR3 (or 2) or MG except maybe
the T series

":

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars,
needed
parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve
lash adjustment and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc. The
electrical parts were also very suspect (Lucas)

Prince of Darkness!

so I kept several of these on
hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed
something.

Drove a TR-4 for a couple years and owned an MGB. Carried tools
sufficient to rebuild the MG and a quart of LocTite.

I also owned an MGB as well as the TR-3. Guess I was a glutton
for punishment, but they were great fun autos to drive. I
finally sold the MGB when the kids in my neighborhood at college
kept stealing the knockoff wheel nuts.

I sold mine to my boss's boss. Damn fool put a $1000.00 sound
system in it and then ran it through a car wash with predictable
results.

On my first and only date with a particularly attractive coed at
school, we took the MGB to a drive-in theater. (Outdoor movie
theater for you youngsters.) It was a beautiful summer evening and
we put the top down. It was idyllic for a while, at least until a
squall line loomed on the horizon. The movie was excellent, so we
put up the top and stayed through the thunderstorm to *attempt* to
see it to its conclusion, the wiper blades doing a mediocre job at
best. With the wind coming in on her side, she got soaked and
didn't deal with it well. I never asked her out again--I couldn't
stand rejection.

ROTFL!!

I bought mine just post divorce and in full mid-life crisis.

I always thought that's what Corvettes are for. g

I had a lot
of one time dates driving the MGB in the Pacific North West where
rain is a Feature. Your post recalls a particularly bad one where
the wind was blowing rain in on her and the semis were blasting
water in on me. Might have been better off with the top down. (

After a point I began to believe that. I finally installed a tonneau
cover and left the top down most of the time, even in lighter rain.
Girls didn't like their coiffures to get blown, so I had to put the
top up from time to time.

The only thing Cooler is a low mileage Vintage Lotus. Of course they are
All low mileage as they spend most of their time in the shop, or waiting
for parts.