Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Why GO BIG?

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:PP1Ih.22662$tf.20245@trndny06...
"Maxprop" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:yhPHh.2834$pi.2644@trndny09...
Bill Rubenstein wrote:

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed
parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash
adjustment and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc. The
electrical parts were also very suspect (Lucas)

Prince of Darkness!

so I kept several of these on
hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed something.

Drove a TR-4 for a couple years and owned an MGB. Carried tools
sufficient to rebuild the MG and a quart of LocTite.

I also owned an MGB as well as the TR-3. Guess I was a glutton for
punishment, but they were great fun autos to drive. I finally sold
the MGB when the kids in my neighborhood at college kept stealing the
knockoff wheel nuts.

I sold mine to my boss's boss. Damn fool put a $1000.00 sound system in
it and then ran it through a car wash with predictable results.

On my first and only date with a particularly attractive coed at school, we
took the MGB to a drive-in theater. (Outdoor movie theater for you
youngsters.) It was a beautiful summer evening and we put the top down. It
was idyllic for a while, at least until a squall line loomed on the horizon.
The movie was excellent, so we put up the top and stayed through the
thunderstorm to *attempt* to see it to its conclusion, the wiper blades
doing a mediocre job at best. With the wind coming in on her side, she got
soaked and didn't deal with it well. I never asked her out again--I
couldn't stand rejection.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

[...]

ROTFL!!

I bought mine just post divorce and in full mid-life crisis. I had a lot
of one time dates driving the MGB in the Pacific North West where rain is
a Feature. Your post recalls a particularly bad one where the wind was
blowing rain in on her and the semis were blasting water in on me. Might
have been better off with the top down. (
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Maxprop wrote:

The movie was excellent, so we put up the top and stayed through the
thunderstorm to *attempt* to see it to its conclusion, the wiper blades
doing a mediocre job at best. With the wind coming in on her side, she got
soaked and didn't deal with it well.

How do you know? Did you even think to check for spalting?

;-))))))))

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000722-3, 03/08/2007
Tested on: 3/9/2007 2:17:49 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill in Detroit wrote:

Maxprop wrote:

The movie was excellent, so we put up the top and stayed through the
thunderstorm to *attempt* to see it to its conclusion, the wiper
blades doing a mediocre job at best. With the wind coming in on her
side, she got soaked and didn't deal with it well.

How do you know? Did you even think to check for spalting?

;-))))))))

I lost two hips to spalting! You suppose it was the leaks in the MGB? )
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: How do you know? Did you even think to check for
spalting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What are we talking about here, a piece of ash?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: How do you know? Did you even think to check
for spalting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What are we talking about here, a piece of ash?

That was Bill's line. I just segued off it. )
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 9, 2:10 am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"Lobby Dosser" wrote: How do you know? Did you even think to check for

spalting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What are we talking about here, a piece of ash?

If we could get a rimshot and cymbal crash from the drummer here it
would be great.

Hiyo!

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Max -- yes on the F600. Contact me off the group please.

Bill

Maxprop wrote:
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
One more comment which comes to mind...

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash adjustment
and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc.

I also owned a TR-3 and carried similar spares in the trunk. Those awful
lever shocks were the worst component, IMO. Always leaking.

The electrical parts were also very suspect (Lucas) so I kept several of
these on hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed
something.

Lucas: Prince of Darkness.

By the time I owned my TR-3 there was no shortage of aftermarket parts as
well as factory OEM parts available overnight or even at the shop.

At the same time we had a Pontiac and I waited for a Rochester quadrajet
carburetor (a piece of junk) for 6 weeks. An aside -- in later years I
discovered that that carburetor was made not only by Rochester but also by
Carter and Holley -- they all made each others products -- GM's hedge
against strikes and such. And I waited 6 weeks.

Years later I drove a Mercedes 240D. at about 175000 miles and maybe 10+
years I needed a rebuilt transmission and it was overnighted from Chicago.

Where something is made is no indication of whether you can get parts for
it. Think about parts for older Craftsman machines.

Bill--do you also sell the F600? I can't seem to find a price or photos of
this lathe.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

While this has been really funny, I guess that I am responsible for
starting this OT meandering -- I'm sorry (but I'm really not). My point
was that the availability of parts is not a function of where a product
comes from. My Brit car needed an endless stream of parts and we had no
trouble coming up with them while my American, mainstream car went begging.

BTW, I owned an MGC -- I'm thinking '69.

Now, if you don't want OT, don't read further but there's a story I need
to tell...

We took our honeymoon (St. Louis to New Orleans) in the TR-3 in Dec of
'64. Trunk space was even more limited than normal because of the
repair book, tools, and parts.

On the way back, very cold, and the heater quits working. Those
familiar with the car will ask how I knew that it quit working since it
seldom made much of an impression even when working normally. When it
worked, though, it did keep the driver's right leg warm and the
passenger's left leg.

I pulled off the road and found the fuse to be ok. I pulled out the
book, opened to the wiring diagram, figured out which electrical things
were working and which weren't, found the intersection of the wires,
cleaned up a connection, and all was back to normal. I never would have
found it without the book so it was worth the space it took.

My new wife was mighty impressed since she had married a music major and
who knew that he could do this kind of stuff. She was a good sport
about the car and everything else so I've decided to keep her.

Bill

wrote:
On Mar 9, 2:10 am, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"Lobby Dosser" wrote: How do you know? Did you even think to check for

spalting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What are we talking about here, a piece of ash?

If we could get a rimshot and cymbal crash from the drummer here it
would be great.

Hiyo!

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Rubenstein wrote:
[...]

As time goes by my expectations of music majors increase. One of the
sharpest techs I've known was a graduate of Juilliard and Hart. Fixed
computers to put food on the table but her first love was the cello.

Reeves Callaway, the guy who builds special performance Corvettes and
other cars for GM (that GM sells with a full factory warranty) was a
music major.

Bill

wrote:
On Mar 9, 2:10 am, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Lobby Dosser" wrote: How do you know? Did you even think to
check for

spalting?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What are we talking about here, a piece of ash?

If we could get a rimshot and cymbal crash from the drummer here it
would be great.

Hiyo!

Robert

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

We took our honeymoon (St. Louis to New Orleans) in the TR-3 in Dec of
'64. Trunk space was even more limited than normal because of the
repair book, tools, and parts.

Boot Space, Bill. Trunks are American cars. My MG had a wee rack on the lid
of the Boot. I carried the luggage out in the weather and the parts and
tools in the Boot.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill Rubenstein wrote:

[...]

I always thought that's what Corvettes are for. g

I had a lot
of one time dates driving the MGB in the Pacific North West where rain is
a Feature. Your post recalls a particularly bad one where the wind was
blowing rain in on her and the semis were blasting water in on me. Might
have been better off with the top down. (

After a point I began to believe that. I finally installed a tonneau cover
and left the top down most of the time, even in lighter rain. Girls didn't
like their coiffures to get blown, so I had to put the top up from time to
time.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message
Maxprop wrote:

The movie was excellent, so we put up the top and stayed through the
thunderstorm to *attempt* to see it to its conclusion, the wiper blades
doing a mediocre job at best. With the wind coming in on her side, she
got soaked and didn't deal with it well.

How do you know? Did you even think to check for spalting?

;-))))))))

Do you recall madras, that East Indian fabric with colors that bled? She
was wearing a madras shirt--I guess you might call that spalting.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A friend of mine has a new 750 stubby, and I took a good look at it.
Most of the reasons have already been said, what stood out for me was
how quiet it was, and for the type of pieces that I like to
make...it's a good size. I like to turn big, the stubby is alot
smaller than my lathe, but my big lathe is a hassle to work on pieces
smaller than 18" diameter.

You'll make a lot more money turning big than small pieces, in alot of
ways, it's much easier to turn big. People with big houses like large
pieces for their homes, if your the only guy in your area that has the
capablity, you'll have the market share. Turning big is a serious
commitment in tooling, but the upside is the bigger paycheck and
satisfaction.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Maxprop" wrote:

snip

I bought mine just post divorce and in full mid-life crisis.

I always thought that's what Corvettes are for. g

Couldn't afford the 'Vette, and the MG reminded me of my misspent youth.
G!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

is this were I tell the group that I used to drive a Morgan +4, it's still
here - I need to get it out and drive it again - it's fun if you don't have
to get somewhere - but it's horrible to commute in - and when I drove it
regularly, I learned to keep the top down rain or shine --- it's a lot more
open than a TR3 (or 2) or MG except maybe the T series

":

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote:

[...]

The only thing Cooler is a low mileage Vintage Lotus. Of course they are
All low mileage as they spend most of their time in the shop, or waiting
for parts.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
is this were I tell the group that I used to drive a Morgan +4, it's still
here - I need to get it out and drive it again - it's fun if you don't
have to get somewhere - but it's horrible to commute in - and when I drove
it regularly, I learned to keep the top down rain or shine --- it's a lot
more open than a TR3 (or 2) or MG except maybe the T series

A few years ago, when competing in SCCA SOLO II events, there was a gent
with a Plus 4 who competed as well. He had bought his car new and had kept
it immaculate over the years. It was a superb example of the model and one
all of us Miata and Corvette drivers loved to ogle. I never got the
opportunity to drive it, but it looked like an entertaining automobile,
provided you had a good back. The ride, with the live rear axle, was a bit
rough, according to the owner.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

The only thing Cooler is a low mileage Vintage Lotus. Of course they are
All low mileage as they spend most of their time in the shop, or waiting
for parts.

Lobby,

Did you ever get to drive a Lotus Super Seven? And that's the last
off-topic question I'll ask in this thread.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Maxprop" wrote: (clip) The ride, with the live rear axle, was a bit
rough, according to the owner.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There was a story years ago, about a reporter who was interviewing (Peter?)*
Morgan, the son of the founder. The reporter said, "It has been said of the
Plus 4 that in order to drive it comfortably, you should have an inflated
inner tube clenched between your teeth. The reply: "Father would have
liked that."
__________________
*Forgive me if I got the name wrong--It's been a long time.

BTW, this is wood related. The Morgan was built on a wooden frame.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Maxprop" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

The only thing Cooler is a low mileage Vintage Lotus. Of course they
are All low mileage as they spend most of their time in the shop, or
waiting for parts.

Lobby,

Did you ever get to drive a Lotus Super Seven? And that's the last
off-topic question I'll ask in this thread.

Max

Never even touched one, but would have enjoyed doing so.

My Final MG thrill. Took it to the local Department of Environmental
Quality to see if I could get it to pass the pollution requirements. They
laughed as I drove in and were still laughing as I drove out sans
certificate. Took it to the local MG Guru and asked if he could get it to
pass DEQ. He Laughed.

That's my final answer and I'm sticking to it.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

very cute kit car, now it's become quite expensive - it's actually smaller
than my morgan, and a little faster too. And from a comfy (so to speak)
position in either the lotus or morgan, you can put your hand flat on the
ground - of course it's best to do this when the car is stopped.

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

The only thing Cooler is a low mileage Vintage Lotus. Of course they are
All low mileage as they spend most of their time in the shop, or waiting
for parts.

Lobby,

Did you ever get to drive a Lotus Super Seven? And that's the last
off-topic question I'll ask in this thread.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"a little rough" - yeah, that's about right. It is a nice handling car -
note that I said "nice" not "fast". it will easily go into and out of a
very controlled 4 wheel drift, it has adequate power (TR-3 motor in mine) to
take it to just under 120 mph flat out. However.... I went from the morgan
to a Porsche 356A - the porsche had about 1/2 the horsepower, but much
better agility in turns - one particular turn that I used to slide through
at 45 in the morgan in a beautiful drift, didn't even make the porsche chirp
the tires at 65 (and I couldn't go any faster and stop at the stop sign at
the end of the turn). And, after driving for a few hours in the porsche I
still had my hearing and all my fillings, unlike the morgan. On the other
hand the morgan is the only car I've ever been able to drive home with the
crankshaft broken in half (and it's the only car that I've ever needed to
drive home with the .....)

oh, mandatory wood content - the body on the morgan is framed in wood, the
floorboards are plywood, and the seats are plywood with foam and vinyl
stapled over it. The later ones got all cushy and added things like a
radio, working windshield wipers, and so on.

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote:

very cute kit car, now it's become quite expensive - it's actually
smaller than my morgan, and a little faster too. And from a comfy (so
to speak) position in either the lotus or morgan, you can put your
hand flat on the ground - of course it's best to do this when the car
is stopped.

One might call them Knuckle Draggers.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
very cute kit car, now it's become quite expensive - it's actually smaller
than my morgan, and a little faster too. And from a comfy (so to speak)
position in either the lotus or morgan, you can put your hand flat on the
ground - of course it's best to do this when the car is stopped.

Left hand fingernail file. But very carefully.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
"a little rough" - yeah, that's about right. It is a nice handling car -
note that I said "nice" not "fast". it will easily go into and out of a
very controlled 4 wheel drift, it has adequate power (TR-3 motor in mine)
to take it to just under 120 mph flat out. However.... I went from the
morgan to a Porsche 356A - the porsche had about 1/2 the horsepower, but
much better agility in turns - one particular turn that I used to slide
through at 45 in the morgan in a beautiful drift, didn't even make the
porsche chirp the tires at 65

Sounds like a tire issue . . .

(and I couldn't go any faster and stop at the stop sign at the end of the
turn).

Or perhaps a brake issue . . .

And, after driving for a few hours in the porsche I still had my hearing
and all my fillings, unlike the morgan. On the other hand the morgan is
the only car I've ever been able to drive home with the crankshaft broken
in half (and it's the only car that I've ever needed to drive home with
the .....)

Truly an engine issue, and amazing at that.

oh, mandatory wood content - the body on the morgan is framed in wood, the
floorboards are plywood, and the seats are plywood with foam and vinyl
stapled over it. The later ones got all cushy and added things like a
radio, working windshield wipers, and so on.

My friend's Plus 4 had some wood issues. A tornado collapsed his garage
around the Morgan without damaging the car, except for torrential rains
pouring into the open car for a few hours afterward. While he attempted to
dry the car out thoroughly, the floorboards experienced some dry rot over
the next year and one-half, leading him to replace them. Later he found a
few other body members that had also experienced some rot.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Maxprop" wrote:

While he attempted to
dry the car out thoroughly, the floorboards experienced some dry rot
over the next year and one-half, leading him to replace them.

Had a 54 Chevy in Ohio that had that problem. Rust from road salt. Patched
with the shiny Metal duct tape and reminded passengers not to put any
weight on the shiny bits.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lobby Dosser" wrote: (clip) Patched with the shiny Metal duct tape (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If yoyur car is going to be in the rain, you want to use *duck* tape.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

the cars had exactly the same brand and size of tires. The porsche is about
400 pounds heavier (1600 versus 1200). The morgan has a 2.4 liter engine,
the porsche 1.6, so the morgan could accelerate much faster, but the porsche
handles much better (until the rear end breaks loose - it really doesn't do
a nice 4 wheel drift like the morgan). And, morgan had front wheel disks,
porsche had huge aluminum finned brake drums that would self-unadjust making
for a rather special driving experience from time to time. But the porche
gets 45 mpg.... (mandatory wood content - the porsche has wooden floor
boards separating your feet from the firewall - plywood to be exact, the
morgan has more wood)

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
"a little rough" - yeah, that's about right. It is a nice handling car -
note that I said "nice" not "fast". it will easily go into and out of a
very controlled 4 wheel drift, it has adequate power (TR-3 motor in mine)
to take it to just under 120 mph flat out. However.... I went from the
morgan to a Porsche 356A - the porsche had about 1/2 the horsepower, but
much better agility in turns - one particular turn that I used to slide
through at 45 in the morgan in a beautiful drift, didn't even make the
porsche chirp the tires at 65

Sounds like a tire issue . . .

(and I couldn't go any faster and stop at the stop sign at the end of the
turn).

Or perhaps a brake issue . . .

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
the cars had exactly the same brand and size of tires. The porsche is
about 400 pounds heavier (1600 versus 1200). The morgan has a 2.4 liter
engine, the porsche 1.6, so the morgan could accelerate much faster, but
the porsche handles much better (until the rear end breaks loose

Ah yes, the venerated Porsche terminal oversteer . . .

- it really doesn't do a nice 4 wheel drift like the morgan). And, morgan
had front wheel disks, porsche had huge aluminum finned brake drums that
would self-unadjust making for a rather special driving experience from
time to time. But the porche gets 45 mpg.... (mandatory wood content - the
porsche has wooden floor boards separating your feet from the firewall -
plywood to be exact, the morgan has more wood)

Porsche was also the first to use anodized aluminum alloy parts in areas
where corrosion could become an issue, such as the engine cooling baffles.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 05:52:40 GMT, "Maxprop"
wrote:

My comments to Charlie apply to you in spades, Robert. Your paragraphs
above would seem patently arrogant.

I've always been puzzled why there are always a few in various trades who
harbor such resentment toward those who pursue the same activities on an
amateur or hobby-related basis. Certainly no amateur carpenter or
cabinetmaker routinely calls your skills into question, do they? So why do
you appear to be threatened? If its not threats you feel, your comments
above would simply constitute mean-spiritedness and arrogance, or at least a
high degree of jealousy toward those with the means to buy fine equipment.
Not a great recommendation for one who purports to earn his living by
selling his skills to the buying public.

You are in a rare position to be helpful to those with lesser skills and far
less experience. Why you've instead chosen to demonstrate disdain is beyond
my comprehension.

Hey Max,

It's a little late to be jumping in on this, but I've been busy the
last couple of weeks.

First off, it would seem you're drawing some pretty broad conclusions
about guys that I've read hundreds of posts from, and they're not very
accurate ones.

Beyond that, some folks (by that I mean myself- who knows if anyone
shares my motivations) have a genuine interest in keeping woodworking
accessible to everyone. While it's great if you have the
discretionary income to buy only the best and to hell with the price
tag, I remember some really bad moments that came from reading endless
threads about hugely expensive tools when I first started following
this group and the wreck. Probably my own shortcoming, but all the
talk about how XYZ was the thing to have, and everything that I had in
my shop five or six years ago was useless junk made me want to give up
the hobby as impossible for anyone with an income under $100k a year.

Like I said, it's probably a personal shortcoming, but I had a hard
time imagining that there are not others who lurk on these groups and
have the same reaction to the general tone (less so here than on
rec.woodworking.) If I can help one other guy who is busting his ass
to make things with rickety tools by pointing out that you don't have
to have a Oneway to turn a weed pot, and it helps him get through his
learning stage, I consider that ample reason to risk irritating a guy
who has a Oneway, a Stubby, and a Vicmark in his garage, and declares
that anything less is unacceptable.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Prometheus wrote:

Like I said, it's probably a personal shortcoming, but I had a hard
time imagining that there are not others who lurk on these groups and
have the same reaction to the general tone (less so here than on
rec.woodworking.) If I can help one other guy who is busting his ass
to make things with rickety tools by pointing out that you don't have
to have a Oneway to turn a weed pot, and it helps him get through his
learning stage, I consider that ample reason to risk irritating a guy
who has a Oneway, a Stubby, and a Vicmark in his garage, and declares
that anything less is unacceptable.

Yeah ... what he said.

The reality is that most guys already own the best they can afford. Some
guys have a ton of money to throw into a hobby ... others are scrapping
out a living with less prestigious tools. Some guys can't make ANY tool
work for them, others could turn out good work with a piece of broken
glass for a tool and a sewer drain for inspiration. The possession of a
tool is not synonymous with the possession of the skills to use it. The
two simply do not HAVE a relationship.

Me? I've mostly got cheap tools. My only top-end tool (a Milwaukee
router) is among my least used tools. I figure that when I learn to turn
out good work on the cheaper tools, I'll be ready to move up AND have
the money to do it with. In the meantime, I'm learning how to hold work,
sharpen edges, judge grain and apply finishes. While laying awake around
4 am today I had an idea of how to hold a shallow dish last night that I
am going to try tomorrow. It's a way to work around the lack of a vacuum
chuck. Probably not new (vacuum chucks are new, workholding on lathes is
ancient), but it might solve my problem of how to hold shallow work that
is near my full swing in diameter without leaving a mark on the bottom
or requiring a pedestal to cover up the mark.

I worked a lot of overtime as a machinist and die maker for years
before I got decent at those trades. I figure I've got about 5 more
years to get to the same point with wood.

I can make a Oneway from a pile of steel, a file, a hammer and a torch.
But I can't make the cover of AAW magazine. Yet.
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000732-0, 04/10/2007
Tested on: 4/10/2007 3:23:30 PM

How big a platter? How big a bowle? How big a lathe? Arch Woodturning 7 January 3rd 05 06:46 AM
The Big Bowl Francis R. Vesey Woodturning 0 November 16th 04 02:15 PM
A Big Big Big Bowl STEFANEE STIEN Woodturning 9 November 14th 04 12:21 AM
Now this is big! vmtw Woodturning 11 November 12th 04 08:10 PM
Big Penis Electronics Repair 0 July 8th 04 01:27 AM