Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Choosing a Toilet

"Luke Howett Fitzhugh" wrote in message

Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life.
. . .
First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical
condition now, but I am not getting any younger.

You have apparently not traveled in Europe. The "standard" 14"
height for toilet bowls is much lower in N.America than in most
European countries (apparently for the convenience of families
with small children, but not enough gumption to provide a
convenient step or stool for children.)

A taller toilet (18 or 20" high) is preferable for all adults (and
may help certain types of mechanism flush better. In places
which sell only standard-height toilets they can be mounted
higher, i.e. set on a small platform 4 to 8" above the floor. I
have seen such installations in Montreal (built 1900-1950.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs