Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dimensional lumber

"Eigenvector" wrote in message

That really hacks me off sometimes. Yes, it's no big deal when buying
2x4s or construction lumber, precision isn't really required of it. But
something like cedar or oak or material that is chosen for its looks not
it's structural strength.

Is there at least a consistent dimension that can be assumed from the
measurments? Can you ALWAYS assume "x" inches removed from the advertised
dimension or does that depend of other factors as well? So if I buy a
2x4, can I ALWAYS presume it's 1 5/8" x 3 1/2" (or whatever it really is)
and likewise 1x2 is 5/8" x 1 1/2"

The dimensions are before planing. I can buy 4/4 hardwood, but, by the time
I get done preparing it, the actual dimension will be 3/4". Boards are
rough cut, dried, then dimensioned. If you want a true 1" thick board, you
must start out with at least an extra 1/4 to 1/2" when cut from the tree.
Just the way lumber dries.

All 1x lumber is finished 3/4". Boards are, IIRC 1/2" less on the width up
to 6", but over that, they are 3/4" less. Been that way for about 100 years
or so.