Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default wiring question Knob and Tube

I'm plenty familiar with it. The "joints" as you call them are in attics,
and under the house, and at the switches. I've stripped a few houses of K&T
and never found a SPLICE in the walls.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
OBVIOUSLY you arent familiar with K&T ALL joints are in walls
soldered, no metal boxes, impossible to really inspect wiring.

A overheated joint from overload or solder failure can overheat and
start a fire in a wall, with wood lathe a bad fire can result.the
wiring goes thru ceramic tubes in walls, I have perrsonally seen
overheated failing joints, cracked tube, whats really bad is you cant
see things.

adding insulation is a known hazard, the wiring current ratings are
designed around free air circulation.

now add in K&T your lucky to have ONE outlet in most rooms, so the
occupants use extension cords, increasing the risk of tripping or a
fire caused by damaged extension cords.