Steve

Default Changing oil through dipstick tube

Curtis Newton wrote:

The dipstick tube doesn't go near the bottom of the pan, If anyone is
just sticking a hose on the dipstick tube itself, all they're going to
do is suck air.

Exactly.... I was going to let someone dig a hole for themselves before I
brought that little point up. I don't think a hose shoved down the dipstick
tube is very likely to find its way to the lowest part of the pan either.
I'd say at best it's a half assed way of changing the oil.
Bob

Guess I am not following this part.....when you put the tube down the
dipstick hole, you can feel it hit the bottom of the pan. Also, the
tube that is provided is cut at a 45 degree angle.

And that may indeed find the deepest part of the pan on SOME engines.
But what about the engines where the dipstick isn't located over the
deepest part of the pan but instead is over one of the "steps" in the
pan that is there to clear the subframe, steering linkage, or whatnot?
Especially if there are baffles in the pan that prevent the tube from
sliding sideways and off the "step" into the deeper part of the pan.

I agree- its a half-assed way to do it and a lot of times its going to
be the wrong half of the ass.