Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default One Guy Recommended HIRE MOVERS - LISTEN TO HIM!!!!

If you want to get it out safely, look into a local moving company. I'm not
talking about Mayflower Van Lines. Most fair sized towns have at least one
local mover with manpower and equipment to handle this. Many of these
companies have an item called a stair-crawler that helps movers get big
items up the steps -- Like my 800 pound gun safe.

I had such a group move our possessions into a storage facility a few years
ago for about $350. That included the safe.

Many regular movers aren't that wild (or good) at moving really heavy
items. I've used piano movers a couple times with great success. They
are used to dealing with large heavy objects that are worth lots of
money, and they are also used to being careful about not bashing into
doorways & the like. The one thing they get leery about is using their
padded moving blankets on greasy machines, so if you think you might need
them, you should get your own (they're pretty cheap).

The first time, I hired "Death Wish Piano Movers", which has a long local
history. They drive black trucks & wear black shirts, all emblazoned
with a white logo with a skull. They did a great job moving a lathe for
a few hundred bucks. Unfortunately, they got bought out and went
downhill, but one of the original owners started up a new company. I
used them to move the lathe & my mill to a new home. They quoted me
$450, and it all went very smoothly. They said it was so easy they
dropped the price to $400. The professional machinery riggers
(millwrights) I talked to wanted $800 or more for the same job.

Doug White