Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default Paint confusion?

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
S Viemeister wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Don't use PVA. This advice seems to have come from makeover TV
programs, but it's so wrong, some paint manufacturers have
had to start warning against it on their tins now. (It creates
a disaster which is very difficult to recover from.)

What are the effects of using PVA?

It's not "wrong" as such but, if you overdo it, you can create a film on
the surface that won't take a colour very well. Streaks, brushmarks etc.
So, basically, it's safer to use thinned paint.
I've used Crown emulsion straight from the tin on new plaster many times
without incident. I really can't be arsed watering down paint and the mess
that creates

I've not used watered down paint on fresh plaster, but on repainting I find
it makes coverage very much smoother when using emulsion diluted about 1
part in 5.