Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
David R Brooks David R Brooks is offline

Default How to Remove a Big Heavy Machine from a Basement

Robatoy wrote:
On Mar 10, 2:42 pm, "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the years
of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have moved their
prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

TMT

No such stories other than a fellow in another part of town built a
big-ass sailboat in his backyard and it was clearly impossible for
that boat to get between the houses and past trees, yadda, yadda. The
neighbours called him Noah, because they felt that was the only way
that boat was getting out of there.
Then, much to everybody's surprise a big-ass mobile crane rolled into
the street, ran out its outriggers and erected itself, unfolding a big-
ass jib and reached over the roof of the house and picked the boat up
and put it on a waiting trailer. It was all said and done in a few
hours.
He's still smirking at his neighbours who had thought all along that
he was crazy.
I still remember the funny caption under the picture in the local
paper (I'm not sure if it was intentional or not) "The crane reached
over the house and picked up the boat on put it on the trailer without
a hitch." (credit Sarnia Observer)

That, in reverse, happens here all the time with swimming pools. Made of
glassfibre, they come on a large truck, & are craned into a pit dug in
the backyard.