Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Choosing a Toilet

Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:
Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life. I've
repaired several toilets in several houses that I've owned, but this
is the first purchase.

I will only try to address one issue. Function. As you look at the
specs, you want to pay attention to two of them.

First it should be "Fully Glazed" That means the part of the drain you
don't see, the part where things get clogged, is fully glazed like the parts
you do see. If it does not say fully glazed, then inside that pipe there
are sections that are not fully glazed and have a consistency somewhat like
sand paper. Things that you don't want to see again slide on the glass like
finish (glazed) much better than on sand paper.

Next you want to look for a trap size (the trap is the part that is
hopefully fully glazed) is at a minimum 2 inches and larger is much better.
I would not buy less than 2 inches myself.

Between the two you get a slippery large opening to get rid of the
unwanted.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit