Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
betsyb betsyb is offline

Default Choosing a Toilet

Wait till you see the differences in taller toilets' prices. My husband and
I are well over 65 and getting down is not bad but getting up is a different
matter. Guess well will just have to deal with it.

--
"Anybody can have more birthdays, but it takes balls to get old!"

BetsyB

"Luke Howett Fitzhugh" wrote in message
Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my
house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden
realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life. I've
repaired several toilets in several houses that I've owned, but this
is the first purchase.

One thing that I want to do is to take advantage of the new features
that are being offered on new toilets these days.

First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical
condition now, but I am not getting any younger. A sprained ankle that
I got from skiing reminded me that I should make my house more
accessible in order to accommodate any physical issues that I may
encounter during the next 30 years. As long as the changes don't make
life more difficult for a healthy person, I will try to implement the
changes as the projects occur. A comfort-height toilet seems innocuous
enough. Anyone have any comments on tall toilets?

Next, I noticed that many of the new toilets are claiming to have
large flush capacity ("100 Feet of toilet paper", and such). Do these
claims have any basis in fact? Do they indeed reduce clogs? It's not
like clogs happen very often, but it would be nice to have a lower
likelihood.

Next, I saw one toilet that is claiming exceptional quietness. Since
most of the noise for a toilet is in the plumbing, can they indeed
reduce the noise significantly? If they do, how can I tell when it is
running excessively, and needs a new flapper?

Any assistance from someone who has recently replaced their toilet
would be appreciated.

Luke