Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default How to Remove a Big Heavy Machine from a Basement

The last one I moved out was a Logan 200 12"x24" metal lathe. Located in
a "quaint" old house in the imigrant section of town. Estate sale
deal, two sons squabling, when the day came to buy, it was a DO IT NOW
deal. Stripped it down to the bed, parts of the headstock, and the
crossfeed, came in at around 225 pounds. Narrow stairs with low head
clearance, 90 degree bend at the bottom, steep. My buddy was at the top,
lift one step at a time. I was at the bottom, just had to hold up my end
of the deal. Owner was standing behind me, pushing me up the stairs. It
was great fun. BTW: I really like the lathe!

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the years
of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have moved their
prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

TMT