Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default How to Remove a Big Heavy Machine from a Basement

The question is - how did it get there ?

My dad put and got his (now mine) 11" 44" Sheldon Lathe into a basement and back
by him self. But he also grew up on a farm that used horses to drag plows,
used batteries to power lights...

So here goes:

1. run a feasibility on the physical path
2. consider trenching out the wall and going through that way (like boats.....)
3. Saying no to trench - then make the stairs able to hold the load 4X the weight
of the object. That is use large timber. And consider that the loss of the
machine is nominal to that of a person or house ?

4. Then think electric winch capable of pulling the load. Likely a truck type.

5. Go crazy and figure you can mount that to the outside of the house and cable
through a window.

6. By hand and steel rod rollers the machine was moved to the stairs.

7. Getting help along the way would be best. One needs to risk life and
work the bottom end, the other on the winch and a phone for help as needed.

8. Once the end was pulling up - guided over a pulley for safety the end
was dancing on the floor and allowed it to be moved to the foot of
the stair.
9. Once square with the stair, the pulley was lowered putting the lathe
onto the flat wood sheeting laid over the stair. He used a stack up
of two layers of 3/4" ply each.
(he wished he had the 1 1/2" ply he had at the Air Base :-))
10. Once on the boards it was slow upwards until the hallway was reached.

11. pull up the cable to stand it on end and 'kick the tail of the lathe
down the hall and out the garage door.

12. Ease the head down and roll out the door - into the garage whereupon
the flabbergasted moving company guys said ok - we will get it from here!

13. Dad was 63 at the time - and didn't think it was all that bad.

But like I said - he worked horses and pulled lots of stuff up into the barn....

When you grow up on a farm in Indiana almost 100 years ago now tractors were
only a dream in someone's mind.

Skill learned then was deep within his head - along with N-dimensional Space formulas.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I, like all of you, have read of a number of accounts over the years
of how some of our fellow lovers of heavy machines have moved their
prized machines into the bowels of a basement shop.

What I would like to hear are stories of how you have removed a
machine from a difficult location such as a basement.

Anyone?

TMT