tim

Default Petrol in diesel again!

"Hellraiser" wrote in message

"Matthew Barnard" wrote in message
I have read the entire recent thread on putting petrol into a diesel
engine. However that scenario was about 10% or less added.

Today my wife filled an empty tank in a diesel car completely with
unleaded petrol in error. The tank must be at least 90% petrol! Less
than one mile down the road the engine started juddering. She realised
her mistake and stopped and called the AA. They advised not driving any
further to avoid damage. The car was towed to a garage. They have said
that they will provide a complete report by friday - but that it will
involve a great deal of work - and the bill is liable to be thousands!

It never ceases to amaze me how people can do this - there is usually a big
sticker stating "DIESEL" inside the filler flap,

no there isn't (not in mine)

the filler hole is a different size (larger) than for petrol,

how does this stop someone putting the smaller nozzle in exactly?

and surely you can tell it's a diesel by the rattling noise it makes?

I'm sure at the point of driving it you can tell the difference,
but if you drive one of two cars, it must be all too easy to
absentmindedly fill up from the wrong pump. (Just like
occasionally, I still drive out of a drive onto the wrong side
of the road!)

tim

Sheesh.

Hellraiser...........