Curtis Newton

Default Changing oil through dipstick tube

The dipstick tube doesn't go near the bottom of the pan, If anyone is
just sticking a hose on the dipstick tube itself, all they're going to
do is suck air.

Exactly.... I was going to let someone dig a hole for themselves before I
brought that little point up. I don't think a hose shoved down the dipstick
tube is very likely to find its way to the lowest part of the pan either.
I'd say at best it's a half assed way of changing the oil.
Bob

Guess I am not following this part.....when you put the tube down the
dipstick hole, you can feel it hit the bottom of the pan. Also, the
tube that is provided is cut at a 45 degree angle.

I can't say it is the best way to change the oil, but when I pulled
the drain plug, a few drops came out, nothing more. So, it appears to
me that it got quite a bit of the oil. The reason I got it, my Audi
A4 has the plastic underbelly that is a royal pain to get off. On my
wife's RX330, I have still been doing the drain plug method. But,
this next time, I will use the pump and then pull the drain plug to
see how much difference there is.

The main difference I noted between a pump and drain plug was, with
the Griot's pump, the oil cannot be extremely hot. They don't advise
driving more than 10-15 minutes before changing. When I do the drain
plug method (I also have the Rhino Ramps -- they are great), I usually
do the oil change after driving about 30 minutes.

Curt

-
--
Curtis Newton