Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Average life of bladder tank for well

On Mar 9, 6:29 am, wrote:
I am constantly seeing messages on here about the bladder tanks for
wells not working. I have had to replace far too many of them myself.
I have never opened one of them, but I assume these bladders are
similar to a inner tube for tires. Apparently the water contact with
them causes the rubber to deteriorate.

Does anyone know what the average lifespan is for the bladders?
I seem to have to replace them every 7 or 8 years, and that is getting
costly. Before I installed the bladder tank, I had a large galvanized
tank that had no bladder. That tank would need to be drained 3 or 4
times a year, but even when it waterlogged, the pump did not cycle as
often as a much smaller bladder tank.

I know my tank is probably due to be replaced soon again, and I am
considering going back to the old fashioned large non-bladder
galvanized tank, which seem to last forever. In fact I still have the
one I removed years ago, and I bet it will still work.

I'm starting to think the manufacturers of these tanks give them a
limited lifespan so they can keep selling them, and since the bladders
are not replaceable, they can sell a whole (costly) tank each and
every time.

By the way, I found the tanks with defective bladders make good air
compressor tanks, so at least they serve some purpose afterwards.

Over 30 years, I've had pressure tank replaced twice. Last time, a
few years ago, it was leaking. It is a pricey job but over life time
of well usage, probably cheaper than buying water.

Frank