Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Rubenstein Bill Rubenstein is offline

Default Why GO BIG?

Max -- yes on the F600. Contact me off the group please.

Bill

Maxprop wrote:
"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
One more comment which comes to mind...

Many years ago I drove a TR-3 and it, like most Brit cars, needed parts
frequently. I carried points, plugs, tools to do the valve lash adjustment
and adjustment of the SU carburetors, etc.

I also owned a TR-3 and carried similar spares in the trunk. Those awful
lever shocks were the worst component, IMO. Always leaking.

The electrical parts were also very suspect (Lucas) so I kept several of
these on hand... The dealer never disappointed me when I needed
something.

Lucas: Prince of Darkness.

By the time I owned my TR-3 there was no shortage of aftermarket parts as
well as factory OEM parts available overnight or even at the shop.

At the same time we had a Pontiac and I waited for a Rochester quadrajet
carburetor (a piece of junk) for 6 weeks. An aside -- in later years I
discovered that that carburetor was made not only by Rochester but also by
Carter and Holley -- they all made each others products -- GM's hedge
against strikes and such. And I waited 6 weeks.

Years later I drove a Mercedes 240D. at about 175000 miles and maybe 10+
years I needed a rebuilt transmission and it was overnighted from Chicago.

Where something is made is no indication of whether you can get parts for
it. Think about parts for older Craftsman machines.

Bill--do you also sell the F600? I can't seem to find a price or photos of
this lathe.

Max