zxcvbob

Default Advice to keep cars from sliding into my yard on bad curve.

Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
AJScott wrote:

In article ,
"TexasFireGuy" wrote:

Spend a small fortune and have some giant redwoods trucked in and lined up
along the curve. They're a bitch to plant, but you won't get any vehicles
in your yard.

True, but then he'd have every dog in the neighborhood peeing all over
those nice expensive trees. Probably more than a few passing 2am drunks
with their back teeth floating, too.

A small insulated chicken wire fence wired into 110vac with a 100 watt
bulb in series (current limiting) will discourage dogs & drunks peeing.
My father tried it, and you could still hear them yipping a mile away.

A light bulb will not limit the initial current -- it's almost a dead
short until the filament heats up. It will limit the steady-state
current to about 850 mA, but this is a *far* from safe level.

If you're gonna electrify a fence, buy a UL listed fence charger.
Otherwise you are likely to find yourself in prison for a long time if
you kill someone with your boobytrap. I recommend a 6V battery operated
mechanical fence charger -- they generate a painful jolt of about 900V
(it's about like touching a sparkplug) and the voltage is low enough
that it won't arc over the insulators as easily as an electronic or
"solid state" charger. And it won't start a fire like the old "weed
burner" fence chargers.

-Bob