Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
ehsjr ehsjr is offline

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

Al wrote:
In article h_GHh.11732$Tf.10086@trndny03,
ehsjr wrote:

sparky wrote:

On Feb 5, 7:02 am, "wylbur37" wrote:

During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10
degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work
each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures
can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause
damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by
too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion
and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for
damage to occur?

Low temperatures do not bother electronic components. The computer on
my vehicle operates reliably at more than -40 degrees C. So does the
radio in my vehicle.

Not true. You've drawn a generalization covering all
electronic components, based on a limited observation
of 2 pieces of electronic equipment. Take a look at
the datasheets for the LM7805Axx or the LM317Axx voltage
regulators, just two examples. The minimum operating
temperature for them is 0 degrees C. Your radio may
work - but my 2 meter ham radio won't even turn on
when the overnight temperature is below 0 (and nowhere
near 40 below).

You may have one hell of a job getting a DMM to work
at all at -40 or even 0, and even if it does, its accuracy
is indeterminate. For example the Extech MM560 spec
for operating temperature is 41 degrees F to 104 degrees F.
The operating spec for the Fluke 189 is -20 C to 55 C.
The accuracy goes out the window, too. The Fluke accuracy
spec is defined only for the range +18C to +28C, and even
then a temperature coefficient must be applied. It can
be tough for an LCD to display at low temperatures.

Ed

Perhaps a little clarification is in order.

Right. The statement under contention was:
"Low temperatures do not bother electronic components."
Your last sentence says it all:
"No many COT items can withstand extremem operating conditions."

The rest of your post is right on, too.

Ed

The minimum temperature
specs refer to what the manufacturers "guarentee." They may well operate
at lower temperatures, or higher temperatures. Just don't go back and
demand redress if something fails outside of the guarenteed limits.

How do I know? We, ahem, used to condition commercial spec'd parts using
the military temperature operating conditions and selected those which
would work under the military conditions. I suspect that manufacturers
did that also.

Why did we do that? Because not all parts are spec'd to military
requirements and sometimes they are absolutely needed. No many COT items
can withstand extremem operating conditions.

Al