Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Corded Drill Recommendations

In article .com,
says...
I find that sometimes I need a drill to do a bit more than what my 18V
cordless seem comfortable doing. I have 3 Cordless drills, 1 is a
14.4v and 2 are 18v, all seem to have plenty of power for most things
but sometimes drilling a bunch of pilot holes or using a spade bit or
hole saw, they just seem to be straining. Using my drill press is just
not feasible for everything, so I have decided I need a corded drill
as a backup, or maybe as an addition.

I think I need the following:

1/2" Keyless chuck
Variable Speed
Reversable

I do not think I need:

A clutch
A hammer drill

This also seems to be a solution that shouldn't cost me my first born
child (tho you are welcome to him or the second too). I figured in the
75 bucks range new or reconditioned.

Any recommendations? Or any good prices?

http://www.metabousa.com/metabo/hand...odukte/drills/

would always be my first choice in corded drills. Your second-born will still
use that 20 years down the track more likely than not. (2 of my 3 expired
lately, one aged ~38 years, the other ~25years. The third is about 30 and still
going strong).

as for "price-driven" I'd look for the usual suspects, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi.
AEG used to make some medal winning drills and some really crap ones - I'd stay
away from them if I didn't know which model. Ryobi are crap anyway, i.m.o.
B & D used to be underpowered and underengineered 30 years ago, at least the
models we got in Europe at the time. Don't know if that was their entire range
though, and haven't looked at them since.

-P.