Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hank Hank is offline

Default Does recharging batteries with a charger harm them?

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:03:57 -0000, JohnW
wrote:

Not normally, but if it is a cheap charger ( = normal shop
model) that puts out too much charging current, in attempt to
get a "fast charge", it could do if left charging a fully
charged battery.

Thanks. I've never been quite clear about how long one should leave a
car battery on charge, using a cheap charger. I've generally left them
overnight, i.e., 8-12 hours. Is that about right?

My current car has been unused for the past 4 months and when I tried
to start her up today, there was just barely enough charge left in the
battery to fire the engine up. So I have put the battery on charge
(using a cheap charger).

Thanks also to the other respondees.

Hank