Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

DaveM wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DaveM wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
sparky wrote:

On Feb 5, 7:02 am, "wylbur37" wrote:
During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10
degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work
each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures
can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause
damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by
too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion
and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for
damage to occur?

Low temperatures do not bother electronic components. The computer on
my vehicle operates reliably at more than -40 degrees C. So does the
radio in my vehicle.

The last paragraph is not true. Electronic components have specific storage
and
operating temperature ranges. Those with wider temperature specs will
operate
in much hotter and colder temperatures than others. The industry-recognized
commercial temp range is 0C to +70C; the automotive range is -40C to +125C;
the
industrial range is -40C to +85C; the military range is -55C to +125C. Some
manufacturers have differing definitions of these ranges, but these are most
often used.
I know from personal experience in both military and industrial environments
that using the wrong temperature range components can result in equipment
failure, and at the most importune time.
Using commercial range ICs in military aircraft, especially in the avionics,
will result in a failure almost immediately when the air temp at 50,000 feet
drops to -40C. I was involved in an incident a few years ago where a peice
of
navigation equipment in a F-14 was repaired using an commercial grade IC.
The
previous tech didn't realize that was an important aspect; he just looked at
the
basic part number and replaced it with a commercial grade IC, not a mil-grade
IC. The equipment failed within 10 minutes after the plane left the ground,
but
performed flawlessly when the equipment was put back on the bench. It took
about 30 hours of bench time and investigation to find the problem.
Lots of lost time and money, and if this had been in a combat situation,
potential loss of an expensive airplane and human life.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it
goes.

I did not write any of the text you quoted.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Huh?? I didn't say you did. Sorry if I left that impression.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer to the end, the faster it goes.

Your reply followed my message. A lot of people will assume that I
wrote what you replied to. You also removed my reply to the previous
message, further giving that impression.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida