Randy Zimmerman

Default Rebar

Normally rebar is not considered weldable. Weldable rebar actually has
"weldable " imprinted on it along with the ribs.
I have made crude chisels and centerpunches using this material.
It must be remembered that structural grades of steel do not specify
composition like SAE alloy numbers. There are ranges and limits on certain
components but what is more important is the strength and yield points. How
you get to that specification is the manufacturer's choice.
For example a heavy thick section of beam will have more carbon in it
that an small two inch angle iron. After coming off the rolling line one
will cool to black in seconds while the other will take hours.
Randy

"Tim Williams" wrote in message
In case anyone was wondering, rebar is indeed any composition. Tonight I
was forging on some and out of curiosity, cheezily heat treated one end
(brought it to orange heat, quenched, reheated for a little longer than it
took the water to boil off to sorta temper). Took a strike with the

hammer
and sure enough it broke. Spark test reveals something like 1040 but it
must have some other alloying elements since it bears some resemblence to
higher alloy steel (wrench stock for instance).

So yes, it's real crappy material. On the other hand. It can be

hardened.
What a scary thought, toolbits forged from rebar. Hmmmm. But

still........

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,