Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa Grandpa is offline

Default Tracing a sewer line

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
I'd just dig and fix whatever got hit. It's just PVC. On the other
hand, how do you know the toilet is connected to the main septic
tank? You might find another tank down there somewhere.

-rev

Knowing its connected to the one septic tank is real easy as he had
a blockage in the house septic line last year and it backed up into
the shop! It starts out only about six inches below grade at the
shop. He wants to dig a new foundation for an outbuilding somewhere
north of his shop and doesn't want to reroute any sewer lines. Wants
to know where the line is before he starts with the backhoe. Being a
retired engineer, I kind of like the rf emitter approach. Being
cheap, I like the rod approach if the ground was softer. May try the
snake and use a metal detector, rather than the geiger counter idea.
My father was a dowser, but I didn't seem to inherit his "gift."

Thanks one and all for your suggestions. I certainly got more than I
"paid" for.
--
Grandpa