Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default 400 amp service

On 7 Mar 2007 10:29:20 -0800, "volts500" wrote:

On Mar 5, 5:57 pm, "Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote:
Hey group,

I'm contemplating going to Geo Thermal heat,
I've talked to a couple different installers and they say that I need 400
amp service to do this.
this would be split into 2 200 amp boxes, one for the geo and accessories,
(which qualify for a lower rate) and 1 for the rest of the house.

You are wise to seek advice in this matter. IMHO, a 400 amp electric
service for a 2100 SF house is just ridiculous.

My house is almost that big, and I have a 100A main panel with the A/C
(conventional system, not heat pump) on a separate 30A connection
(splits after the meter) . I'm sure I wouldn't want to triple that
(electric service) to "save" energy.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster