Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Cabinet Doors

wrote in message
ups.com...
In planning for our kitchen remodel, my wife and i have decided to
replace our kitchen cabinet doors and refinish the existing cabinetry.

Rockler's custom order doors are $$$$$$$, as are many others.

For about $500 I can outfit myself with the tools I need to complete
this job - rail/stile bits, raised panel bit, etc etc.

I'm a newbie at this sort of woodwork, but i have experience in trim
carpentry and feel confident that i can take my time and do a good job
with it.

I do have a few questions though. Go easy on me!

-I'm assuming I need some sort of mechanical fastener for the frame of
the cabinet door. What should I look at for this, or will a good glue
like Titebond or Gorilla work?

Titebond will work just fine.
This entertainment center is held together entirely with titebond. The only
mechanical fasteners in it are for the hinges *and* to fasten the 1/4"
plywood to the two side units where you see the speakers.
http://tinyurl.com/27u2zt

-This one really sounds lame... What thickness wood should I look at
for the frame and the panel? It seems, from my research, that 7/8 is
the most common frame thickness, but I can't figure out what thickness
panel to use.

The frames ("rails and stiles") are made of 3/4" Oak. While I did use a
thickness planer to plane 4/4 stock to the thickness I thought appropriate,
you can purchase 3/4" finished oak, maple, birch, etc., but it will be much
more expensive than the unfinished product. S2S = surfaced 2 sides.
The panels are 1/4" oak plywood. (nominal; actual thickness varies from one
source to another, be sure to get the proper size router bit to make the
grooves into which the plywood fits.)
http://eagleamerica.com/product.asp?...cd2=1173296717

Thanks for any help. I'd much rather do this myself (and accumulate
some new tools!) than outsource it.

Adam
Atlanta, GA

Glad to be of help anytime.