Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B Steve B is offline

Default Tracing a sewer line

"Grandpa" wrote in message
news:HKlHh.20055$as.14181@trnddc04...
Trying to help out a neighbor here. He is the third or fourth owner of
this place down the road, so he has no idea how the pipes are run. He has
a shop that has a toilet that somehow connects to the septic tank on the
other side of the property about 100' away. We know that the drain pipe
leaves the shop going north, but the tank inlet is NNW. We're looking for
a cheap and relatively easy way to trace the line so that he knows where
he can dig without hitting the pipe. We know the pipe is PVC. There are no
permits or plot plans required in this county for what was done from the
shop (non-occupied building).
Ideas?

No ideas, just a sure fire way to find the pipe.

Take two pieces of metal coat hanger wire, about 18" long. Bend them into
L's with a 12" and a 6" leg. Hold one in each hand by the short section,
each in a very loose fist, with the fronts of them dropped at the slightest
angles forward. You want them to be loose, and turn in your fists. Make
your fist as though you were holding something the size of a broom stick.
You want the wires to be really loose in there. The ends can go through the
opening in the bottom of your fist, but the tops can't rest on your top
finger or they won't turn.

Try it out. Go where you know where there is a line and get the hang of it
first.

Have some red flags, or pieces of cloth in your pocket to mark with as you
go.

You say you know generally which way the line runs. Go out twenty feet, and
walk like you would run into the pipe at a right angle. When you are over
the pipe, your two ends will come towards you to make a straight line left
to right in front of you. Mark the spot with a flag or rag. Go farther out
and repeat.

Exceptions; this will only work when passing over a line at a right angle.
If there are overhead power lines, they can cause the pointers to act
haywire. And, you will find every line in the yard, so you might have to do
some reasoning to decide which one is the one you're looking for.

If you can't master the touch of holding them lightly, go to the 99 cent
store and buy two small bottles of hot sauce, the ones shaped like Tabasco
bottles. You want the wire to be long enough to hit the bottom and swivel
with its weight on the bottom of the bottle. If all you can find is tall
bottles, make your short legs longer. They can't rest on the top lip of the
bottle, and must rest on the end of the wire on the bottom of the bottle.

I have found lots and lots of pipes this way. I have also found survey
markers, large pieces of buried metal, old tin cans, anything metal. And
YES, it does work on PVC pipes, too. Naysayers will say it can't be done.
If you live within 25 miles of me, I'd drive over there and guarantee you
$100 to a cold beer I could find it.

If you have troubles, post here, and I will tell you where I can send you
some helper pictures.

It works.

Steve