Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 400 amp service

On Mar 6, 7:32�am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Zephyr" Someguy@an email address.com wrote in ...

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message
Hey group,

I'm contemplating going to Geo Thermal heat,
I've talked to a couple different installers and they say that I need
400
amp service to do this.
this would be split into 2 *200 amp boxes, *one for the geo and
accessories,
(which qualify for a lower rate) and 1 for the rest of the house.

currently I *have 2 meters on the house 1st is a 150 amp service and

the
second is an interruptible service meter for my AC unit.
( I am in SE Michigan, *use DTE energy)

If I need to go to 400 amp service is it as simple as having both

meters
replaced with larger 200 amp units?
or would new wire need to be pulled from the road? *a quick call to DTE
resulted in an

"I don't know, *We've done geo therm before and never had to put in new
wire, *but, I don't know everything"

Is this an underground service or overhead? *The power companies rate
their
conductors differently than what is permitted in the code book. *I know
that
one power company here in New Jersey has all of their service drops

rated
for a minimum of 320 amps. *For larger services they would install

larger
conductors.

Underground
*thats what makes me question, *a new line underground is not cheap I'm

sure

If it is buried conduit all the way to the transformer, it may be big enough
for the required conductors. *A direct buried cable or conductors may need
to be replaced. *You really need to get some quotes from some electrical
contractors and ask a lot of questions regarding your options. *Be sure to
have all of the electrical specifications available for the new equipment.

You didn't say if you plan to do this work yourself or have a contractor
do
it. *A local electrician should know what is needed. *If you are going

do
the work yourself, I suggest that you get the paperwork started with

your
power company as soon as possible.

Given my questions, *I figured that answer would be obvious. * *I'll
definitly be having someone who knows what they are doing install it.

It sounds as though you only need to upgrade one of the services and

leave
the existing house service as is.

I was kinda hoping that, *no need to pay for a new panel if the old works
fine.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

Well it sounds like you about to be taken

At least keep the gas furnace somehow for standby use.

So why 400 amps? Sounds way excessive. How many BTUs is your AC
currently? Furnace BTUs?