Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 400 amp service

"Zephyr" an address @ some place .com wrote in message
. ..
Hey group,

I'm contemplating going to Geo Thermal heat,
I've talked to a couple different installers and they say that I need 400
amp service to do this.
this would be split into 2 200 amp boxes, one for the geo and

accessories,
(which qualify for a lower rate) and 1 for the rest of the house.

currently I have 2 meters on the house 1st is a 150 amp service and the
second is an interruptible service meter for my AC unit.
( I am in SE Michigan, use DTE energy)

If I need to go to 400 amp service is it as simple as having both meters
replaced with larger 200 amp units?
or would new wire need to be pulled from the road? a quick call to DTE
resulted in an

"I don't know, We've done geo therm before and never had to put in new
wire, but, I don't know everything"

Is this an underground service or overhead? The power companies rate their
conductors differently than what is permitted in the code book. I know that
one power company here in New Jersey has all of their service drops rated
for a minimum of 320 amps. For larger services they would install larger
conductors.

You didn't say if you plan to do this work yourself or have a contractor do
it. A local electrician should know what is needed. If you are going to do
the work yourself, I suggest that you get the paperwork started with your
power company as soon as possible.

It sounds as though you only need to upgrade one of the services and leave
the existing house service as is.