Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller cavedweller is offline

Default wiring question Knob and Tube

On Mar 5, 5:35 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
I'm sure insurance companies base their concern in part by statistical
information regarding old wiring. The problem with K&T is that it's easily
recognized as "old wiring" with little to determine its actual age, which
dates anywhere from the late 1800's into the 1960's and in rare instances
later. Rather then judge its present condition, it's easier to condemn it,
as many people do largely out of ignorance. Armor cable of various types
has been in use from just before 1900 and a variety of non metallic cables
not long after that, neither seems to rate the same negative attention paid
to K&T, which I'd attribute to the general inability to distinguish its age.
Today, we use a grounded electrical system, and as none of these old wiring
methods had grounds or at least adequate ones, IMO, it would make sense to
install new wiring as the opportunity arose

Agreed as well. My recent experience was in response to an insurance
company concern where their report had simply shown a check mark in
the "Yes" box beside K&T wiring.

In my case, however, the service panel had already been upgraded to
200 A and current code wiring for the major circuits had been
installed previously.

I requested, and paid for, a provincial agency (Ontario ESA)
inspection and, on the basis of their assessment, had some relatively
minor modifications made, including the addition of some GF outlets
for protection.

The major concern was therefore only for the remaining lighting
circuits.