Posted to alt.home.repair
Zephyr Zephyr is offline

Default 400 amp service

Hey group,

I'm contemplating going to Geo Thermal heat,
I've talked to a couple different installers and they say that I need 400
amp service to do this.
this would be split into 2 200 amp boxes, one for the geo and accessories,
(which qualify for a lower rate) and 1 for the rest of the house.

currently I have 2 meters on the house 1st is a 150 amp service and the
second is an interruptible service meter for my AC unit.
( I am in SE Michigan, use DTE energy)

If I need to go to 400 amp service is it as simple as having both meters
replaced with larger 200 amp units?
or would new wire need to be pulled from the road? a quick call to DTE
resulted in an

"I don't know, We've done geo therm before and never had to put in new
wire, but, I don't know everything"

Dave