Posted to alt.home.repair
gorehound gorehound is offline

Default Electrical service panel door mismatch...how to fix?

wrote in message
s.com...
On Mar 4, 3:25 pm, "gorehound" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Mar 3, 9:33 pm, "gorehound" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

Hello all.

The past owners of the older home which I live in now had tried
'fixing' things throughout the house (most notoriously venting a
bathroom exhaust directly into a sealed attic space...*sigh*). One
of
these problems which I am now trying to undo involves them
mismatching
the electrical breaker box and the panel that covers it.

The box itself takes some odd-looking, older toggle (push in, push
out) breakers, square in shape. The panel cover has the knockouts
knocked-out for the newer, wide rectangular breakers.

I was warned when I purchased the house that this would have to be
fixed, because it is dangerous--there is a major gap between the
actual little square breakers and the holes from the knockouts for
the
other type of breaker.

Basically, my question is this: can I get *just* the panel for the
existing breaker box? I'd rather do that if at all possible,
instead
of incurring the additional expense of having to replace all of the
breakers to put in a totally new system.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can get just the cover? BTW,
can take pix, if that would help. Thanks so much in advance!!

I have an old push button box that I am replacing and I have the cover
still. If you are interested take a pic and I will take a pic and if
it's
the same I'll mail it this week and you just have to pay shipping. I
doubt
it will be the match, but if it is it's yours.

Shane- Hide quoted text -

Finally, here's a picture of the creature in question. I think the
name of the installer, as written on the door, is not quite
accurate... http://www.idcts.com/images/_newsgroup/P3040104.jpg

I'd be interested for sure in getting ahold of an actual replacement
cover if possible, but fabrication still sounds like a good option
too. I'm wanting to address the overt safety issue now, and maybe
upgrade the whole box to 200 amp service later down the road.

I guess am not savvy enough to handle this task on my own, as I don't
know what an Edison circuit is, or how to bond a jumper.

Thanks again everyone!

What I have is a pushmatic box and cover. I am still using the box for
now,
but not the cover (I know I should be using the cover too, but I am the
only
one who goes near it in the basement). I will try to post a pic with some
measurements. It looks like it has the same amount of openings as what
you
need, if all you need are the 14. If you would be interested I can get
some
pictures with some measurments.

Shane- Hide quoted text -

Sure, I'd definately be interested in buying the cover from you!
That'd be great.

If that doesn't work out, I think I will try to get some hard plastic
or fabrication done to fill the holes on my existing cover.

Thanks again for all of your great input everyone! I'm glad I
stumbled upon this great resource--I would have been stuck scratching
my head for sure if I hadn't.

I will try to get pictures for you tomorrow. I also saw in the pic that if
you can use my cover to be totally legit you need all spaces filled, or a
blank over the empty one on the bottom left. Depending on where you are, it
shouldn't be much more than ten bucks to ship and I will give you a 20A
breaker to fill the space too. You can email me and let
me know where you are if things look like they will work.

Shane