Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electrical service panel door mismatch...how to fix?

On 3 Mar 2007 15:20:42 -0800, wrote:

Basically, my question is this: can I get *just* the panel for the
existing breaker box? I'd rather do that if at all possible, instead
of incurring the additional expense of having to replace all of the
breakers to put in a totally new system.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can get just the cover? BTW, I
can take pix, if that would help. Thanks so much in advance!!

I don't think there is A place, but maybe some electrical contractors
will have old boxes they have removed when they put in bigger. IIUC
other posts, yours is unusual, or takes unusual breakers, so that
lowers the odds they will have taken one out and lowers the odds they
will have kept it.

But in addition to buying per breaker inserts, how about taking some
sheet metal and attaching that to the current cover to fill in all the
empty spots. I get pieces of sheet metal from stereos and vcrs or
toaster ovens that I can't repair, or other kinds of trash, but they
also sell it in larger sizes. You can probably cut one or maybe two
pieces that will cover every opening. I don't know code, including
how thick it would have to be, or what is requires for attaching. Pop
rivets might be fine. Or PC-70? Or by soldering? If you want to do
it that way, ask some more questoins. For appearance's sake, I would
put the patch inside the cover, so only the part filling holes shows,
although from a safety pov, either it doesn't matter, or outside would
be better if space is very limited inside.