Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default Electrical service panel door mismatch...how to fix?

the last thing you should have to do is replace the panel just because you
don't have a cover. make one of good stiff poster board, then take it to
your local metal fab shop and have them make one if you can't order one.

jeeeeeze.... replace the panel...... SIGH

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello all.

The past owners of the older home which I live in now had tried
'fixing' things throughout the house (most notoriously venting a
bathroom exhaust directly into a sealed attic space...*sigh*). One of
these problems which I am now trying to undo involves them mismatching
the electrical breaker box and the panel that covers it.

The box itself takes some odd-looking, older toggle (push in, push
out) breakers, square in shape. The panel cover has the knockouts
knocked-out for the newer, wide rectangular breakers.

I was warned when I purchased the house that this would have to be
fixed, because it is dangerous--there is a major gap between the
actual little square breakers and the holes from the knockouts for the
other type of breaker.

Basically, my question is this: can I get *just* the panel for the
existing breaker box? I'd rather do that if at all possible, instead
of incurring the additional expense of having to replace all of the
breakers to put in a totally new system.

Can anyone point me to a place where I can get just the cover? BTW, I
can take pix, if that would help. Thanks so much in advance!!