Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Preparing for Power Outages?

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"Don" wrote:

AT&T promised they would run DSL to rural areas, but there is rural
and then there is technophobic. (g0.

We're only 1/4 mile from 45, west of Bean Blossom, and on a good day I can
see the wires from my house.
But they won't run them to our house.
Frustrating.

Wires aren't the problem with DSL, IIRC it is getting within a
mile of the

You an SBC customer?

To get DSL service, you have to be within 18,000 cable-feet of either a
central office (CO) or a digital subscriber line access multiplexer (DSLAM),
which is usually a green box about 18" square mounted on a pole.

"Cable-feet" refers to the length of the actual cable run, not the straight
line distance from your house to the CO or DSLAM, and cable routing can be
pretty bizarre at times.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"The message should go out loud and clear that we are a tolerant country
and we will not tolerate racism in this country." Tony Blair, UK PM