Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical service panel door mismatch...how to fix?

wrote in message
How hard would it be for me to shut off the main breaker, have the
power company pull the meter, and me swap meticulously from this old
box to a new one, if I have to replace everything? Is it something
that a somewhat-savvy individual can do and then get an electrician to
inspect, or am I flirting with disaster?

Thanks again for the input!

In some areas, it is possible to get a permit and do the work yourself.
Check with your inspector. It is really not all that difficult once the
power has been cut. Before you start, take a look at a book on basic
wiring. It is pretty much a matter of disconnecting all the wires, pulling
them out, replacing the box and breakers and one by one, putting all the
wires back. Before you buy anything, see if thee are breakers that are
doubled up with two sires going to them. Now is the time to separate all
that stuff.

Plan ahead, do it on a day with plenty of daylight and plenty of time.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/